With all of the decorations, shopping and parties coming up this holiday season, it's important to remember some quick safety tips. According to theU.S. Fire Administration, the holidays are the most dangerous months for electrical and house fires; causing costly property damage. Luckily, with a few precautions, homeowners can help keep their home and family safe from fire and injury.

 
 
 
 

While sprucing up your home this season, keep an eye out for these common holiday fire hazards:

  • Carefully inspect holiday light strings, discarding any with frayed cords, cracked lamp holders, or loose connections.
  • Turn of holiday lights when leaving the house or going to bed. A timer switch is a helpful tool.
  • Don't overload outlets with too many plugs.
  • Have your wood stove and chimney inspected by a professional for obstructions or creosote buildup to avoid a chimney fire.
  • Clean any ashes or soot from the fireplace into a metal container and set outside to cool for 24 hours before disposal.
  • Ensure glass inserts for gas fireplaces are not cracked or broken.
  • Keep holiday decorations away from fireplaces, candles or stoves.
  • Test your smoke alarms and be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas.
  • Keep live trees well-watered and away from open flames.
  • Opt for fake trees that are marked "fire resistant."
  • Don't leave food cooking on the stove unattended while mingling with holiday guests.
  • If deep frying a turkey, be sure to follow fire safety precautions.
  • Be aware of hanging decorations, electrical lights or candles that pets may accidentally knock over or chew on.

Homeowners should also make sure they have a fire extinguisher easily accessible and an emergency first aid kit ready to treat burns or other injuries.

If you or someone you know is in need of real estate assistance in central Oregon, I am always available to help. Contact me today!